Your clothes and how you wear them are an expression of who you are. Knowing how to wash clothes without ruining them is a basic life skill. With the right washing methods, you can help keep your favorite clothes looking better and lasting longer. With a little bit of prep work, such as separating items by color and texture, selecting the right washing cycle, and knowing how much detergent to add, you’ll get the hang of it in no time. Not sure how to do laundry? Laundromagic located in Holyoke, MA has you covered.
Washing Clothes Tips:
- Sort colors: One of the biggest mistakes you can make when washing clothes is to mix colored clothes and light colored clothes in the wash cycle. Colored clothes loose dye during the wash cycle and light-colored fabrics will pick up that dye during the wash.
- Check your pockets: Leaving foreign objects such as lip balm can sometimes ruin an entire load of laundry. Make sure you remove all objects such as belts and accessories.
- Set the right temperature: White clothes should be washed in hot or warm water and color clothes should be washed in cold water. Hot water is the best choice for heavily stained items, bath towels, and washcloths.
- Read the labels: Labels on clothing are there for a reason. They will let you know whether or not a specific piece of clothing needs to be washed at certain temperature or if the item can go into the dryer or not.
- Don’t over fill the machines: Over stuffing the wash or dryer machines may cause jams or prevent the machine from working properly. Also, larger loads will take longer to dry.
- Avoid hanging your clothes on wires: To avoid creasing, it is best you hang your cloths on wooden or thicker plastic hangers.
- Follow the washing machine directions: You will notice a set of directions on the front of the washer machine. These directions notify you where and when to add the detergent, clothing, and bleach.
- Separate laundry by texture or fabric: Heavy fabrics like denim jeans and towels require a different washing cycle than delicate items. While washing work clothes, knit sweaters, or lingerie, the delicate cycle should typically be set. Delicate clothes should be washed in cold water.
- Avoid over drying your clothes: Over drying your clothes can cause items to shrink and get worn out more quickly. When switching your clothes from the washer to the dry, take each item and shake them out. This helps your clothes dry quickly and evenly while preventing wrinkles.
Washing clothes at Laundromagic Is Easy!
While washing clothes at Laundromagic, don’t hesitate to ask one of our attendants on duty for any specific tips for washing your clothes.